Thank you for your interest in learning more about incorporating secondhand smoke counseling into your clinical practice. The American Medical Association, with a cooperative agreement from the Environmental Protection Agency, has created five podcasts that you can download for free. Each one is narrated by Dr. James Thompson, board certified allergist and asthma specialist practicing in the Chicago area.
The podcasts are approximately 4-5 minutes in length. The topics include:
- What is secondhand smoke – briefly describes the chemicals and toxins found in secondhand smoke and outlines the health effects on children associated with exposure.
- The role of physicians – addresses the importance of physicians intervening with parents and discussing secondhand smoke, not just smoking. It outlines the relevant research to physician involvement.
- Overcoming barriers – reviews some of the barriers that physicians face when talking about his subject with families.
- Reimbursement – talking to parents about secondhand smoke should be part of treating the child. Clinicians should be and can be reimbursed for this intervention
- Motivational interviewing –offers simple techniques to overcome any discomfort clinician might experience when bringing up the subject of secondhand smoke
In order to download these files, you will need to fill out a registration form. You will not be required to create a password. We also ask that you complete the evaluation form so that we can continue to create programs relevant and useful to you and your practice.